Sunday, May 8, 2011

Scallopine with Saffron Cream Sauce


I've never had saffron before in my life (that I can remember), nor have I ever bought it. I watched Giada make a Chicken Scallopine with Saffron Cream Sauce on The Cooking Channel. She had me at cream sauce.

Brian went to the store to find saffron, among other things. I told him not to buy any if it was too expensive, so he naturally came home with saffron in hand. At least we were getting a true representation of this recipe! I thought perhaps it was over $12, maybe $15. To my surprise, the saffron was a whopping $20! 

It definitely added something to this dish, so I will now be searching for other recipes to use up these expensive threads. Overall, it was quite good, but I would have preferred a thicker sauce. There is lots of sauce left over, so this week I will work on thickening it. 

Brian suggested getting some dessert at 7-Eleven, a block from our house. He returned with two Hostess delights, a twinkie and a ho ho. Though they were both stuffed with cream, we put more homemade whipped cream on top. Since we had cream on hand from the saffron sauce, it seemed like the right thing to do.


The twinkie was better than the ho ho. We've definitely had our fill of cream for awhile, and need to run a marathon to burn this dinner off.

No comments:

Post a Comment