Tuesday, May 10, 2011

BONE Appetit!

Our dog, Shaker, just had her 10th birthday. We don't usually celebrate her birthday, but 10 is definitely a benchmark year. Though I've never cooked for her, I thought she deserved something special. So today I made my first canine birthday cake. It's the least I can do for all the unconditional love she gives us!

After looking through recipes online, I arrived at a peanut butter cake. Shaker loves peanut butter. Some of the icing recipes seemed unappetizing, like pureed cottage cheese. I finally landed on a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Though you must be thinking the ingredients could make any human sick to their stomach, it's natural things we would normally eat like flour, honey, carrots and peanut butter. All in all, it's kind of like a carrot cake with traditional cream cheese icing (+ peanut butter).

Brian kept laughing, saying Shaker will eat ANYTHING, and it really doesn't matter how it tastes. While I recognize this, I wanted it to taste really good for her. Nothing but the best for this baby girl. Or senior citizen...

Fresh out of the oven, Shaker got her first whiff, 
and licked her chops. Lookin' pretty good so far!

After the icing was added, she's looking even more interested.

Perhaps not a good idea, but I let her sit at our table. 
This is when I learned she's not a fan of carrots.

I plated up a slice and moved her to the floor. She proceeded to pick up the entire piece in her mouth & take it to the living room, on the carpet. I moved her plate to the living room to minimize the crumb mess. However, I have no doubt she'll eat up the entire trail of crumbs. 

Peanut Butter Dog Cake
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour and baking soda, then add remaining ingredients. Mix well, and pour into 8-inch cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool, then frost. Decorate to your delight!

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
12 ounces non-fat cream cheese (room temp)
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon honey

No comments:

Post a Comment